Monday, September 26, 2011

Boy or Girl?

If you have paid close attention to my previous blogs. Which I'm sure you haven't. You might have noticed my rabbit buster is a girl. Ideally, I wouldn't name a girl Buster.
When my boyfriend bought me the rabbit, he told me it was a boy. I didn't know anything about rabbit's at the time so I believed him and had picked out the name Buster.
Well, when Buster was about ten months old, I started seeing a lump on her neck. The only thing that came to my mind, was that it's a goiter. Goiter's are tumors that appear on the neck and become cancerous. Rabbit's typically die from these. Since there so hard to remove, rabbit's can die from the surgery of trying to remove them. I, of course, freaked out. So I scheduled an appointment with a vet immediately.
Since she's such a big rabbit and all black it's hard to tell what sex she is. The vet informed me that she was a girl though. So the lump on her neck is a dulap. Which are what female rabbit's get. It's a fat sac that there body can live off of when they get pregnant and are nursing. So they don't die, from the toll it all takes on there bodies.
I, of course, was relieved but at the same time wish I would have known before. I told Johie she was a girl. He said he just assumed because she was black. I guess neither of us knew anything about rabbits.

2 comments:

  1. Well there are other ways of checking their sex, but it involves poking around their privates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, were you like "I've been fooled"? glad she is ok though!

    ReplyDelete